Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

OLD MARKET HALL, LLANIDLOES

Site Details



NPRN 32039

Map Reference SN98SE

Grid Reference SN9542084523

Unitary (Local) Authority Powys

Old County Montgomeryshire

Community Llanidloes

Type of Site MARKET HALL

Broad Class CIVIL

Period Post Medieval

Site Description The Market Hall in Llanidloes is the only surviving timber-framed market hall in Wales, and dates to the opening years of the seventeenth century. The south end wall has been re-built since its first construction, and intermittent works have been carried out; sympathetic restoration of the whole building occurred in 1957-9. The rubblestone building has two storeys, with 5 bays of post and panel partitions, topped by a slate roof with octagonal glazed cupola, weathervane and overhanging eaves. The ground floor is primarily open with heavy oak arches and cobbled paving, although the eastern most bay has been enclosed.

During the seventeenth to nineteenth centuries the booming textile trade in Llanidloes made this Market Hall a bustling centre of trade, where the wool and flannel was collected for transport to Welshpool. The upper room served as a wool market, a flannel store, a law court, a Working Men’s Institute & Library and as a preacher’s hall, where such esteemed men as John Wesley preached. The hall housed the town’s museum from 1930 to 1995, when it was relocated to Llanidloes Town Hall (NPRN 32053).

Source: Cadw Listed Building Record
RCAHMW Inventory Documents

K Steele, RCAHMW, 5 January 2009

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites