Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST MARYS WELL AND BATH, BODRHYDDAN HALL

Site Details


NPRN 32325

Map Reference SJ07NW

Grid Reference SJ04517875

Unitary (Local) Authority Denbighshire

Old County Flintshire

Community Rhuddlan

Type of Site WELL HOUSE

Broad Class WATER SUPPLY AND DRAINAGE

Period Post Medieval

Site Description 1. 17th century octagonal stone superstructure, arched entrance, cherub keystone, cupola with pelican, rectangular bath to N with stone balustrade, corner balustrade and fielded panels.
2. Sides of octagon, 1.1m, overall height of well house, 4.0m.
The building carries an inscription 'INDIGO JONES 1612', however it does not appear to be depicted on an estate map of 1730, whilst present in 1756.
This area of Bodrhyddan Hall (Nprn35670) grounds (Nprn266211) is known as 'The Pleasaunce', and St Mary's Well apears to have been set in a grove, with several ponds, and cut by formal walks. This layout was subsequently remodelled (Nprn35673).
It is thought that the well/spring may have been a med. holy well.
(sources: Os495card; SJ07NW12; long text attached to Nprn266211)
J.Wiles 11.10.02

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites