1. The terminus of the Snowdon Mountain Railway (nprn 91415), opened in 1896. An attached cafe/depot, designed by Sir Clough Williams-Ellis, was built in 1935 in an unintentionally brutalist style; it was much modified over the years and during the early 1980s it was refurbished. A scheme to replace the building was begun in 2004 and in 2009 a replacement cafe and interpretation centre, designed by Ray Hole, was opened. It is built of granite and has a wall of glass to provide panoramic views.
RCAHMW, 30 June 2009.
2. Hafod Eryri stands 1063m above sea level. Over 60% of the materials and labour came from Wales and all materials were carried to the summit by train. The granite walls, roof and floors are built with stone from Blaenau Ffestiniog and Portugal and much of the stone was hand cut on site. The internal walls are lined with Welsh Oak. Hafod Eryri has to be able to withstand wind speeds over 150mph, over 5 metres of rain and temperatures of -20 degrees C.
T. Driver, RCAHMW, 29th Sept 2009.