Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

LLANBADARN FAWR WAR MEMORIAL

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 32631

Map Reference SN58SE

Grid Reference SN59998093

Unitary (Local) Authority Ceredigion

Old County Cardiganshire

Community Llanbadarn Fawr (Ceredigion)

Type of Site WAR MEMORIAL

Broad Class COMMEMORATIVE

Period 20th Century

Site Description A war memorial of silver granite terraced into gently sloping ground in the village square at the bottom of Primrose Hill.
It is in the form of a rusticated Celtic-type wheel cross decorated on its front (south-west) side with interlace. The cross is mounted on a big, curved-sided square pedestal with inscriptions and names on polished faces. The pedestal front reads 'Gloria In Excelsis Deo To The Honoured Memory Of The Men Of This Parish Who Fell In The Great War 1914-1918 Pro Deo Pro Rege Pro Patria’.
It is surrounded by a rock-faced granite kerb and four corner posts with iron chains between. Two added posts to the front frame a sloping granite front slab inscribed to Second World War (1939-45) dead. (Cadw Listing database)

The south-west face of the plinth commemorates the fallen of the First World War, their names inscribed on the north-west and south-east faces. The memorial is illuminated by two floor lights at the front base of the wall. The village square is now pedestrianised, the monument set in a stepped and paved enclosure. The enclosure wall around the north side of the monument has attached to it a memorial to Lewis Pugh Evans of Lovesgrove. The wall also incorporates ‘Y Garreg Fawr’ used as a preaching platform by itinerant preachers in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries (also listed).

David Leighton and Toby Driver, RCAHMW, 27 February 2014

Digital Images

Archive Records