Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

THE WELLINGTON MONUMENT ON PEN DINAS

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 32637

Map Reference SN58SE

Grid Reference SN5842080211

Unitary (Local) Authority Ceredigion

Old County Cardiganshire

Community Aberystwyth

Type of Site COMMEMORATIVE MONUMENT

Broad Class COMMEMORATIVE

Period Post Medieval

Site Description 1. The Wellington Monument
is a stone column built on the summit of the south fort at Pen Dinas. A memorial to the Duke of Wellington, it was probably erected in 1858 or a year or two before. The main person responsible for seeing to its construction was W.E. Richards of Bryneithin. The monument takes the form of an eighteen metre high upended cannon. It is built of stone rubble and rises from a square podium, the shaft tapers before ariving at a swept out funnel. It is thought that the column was intended to carry at statue at the top, which was never installed. The monument serves to pinpoint the great later prehistoric hillfort crowning the hill (NPRN 92236). The monument was fully restored in 1999, following a lightning strike in 1997, with a replacement rounded slate surround at its top specially made at Blaenau Ffestiniog.

Source: CADW Listed Buildings Database (10420)

See: Browne, D and Driver, T, 2001. Bryngaer Pen Dinas Hill-fort, A Prehistoric Fortress at Aberystwyth, RCAHMW.

2. The shale/slate pediment around the lower part of the monument is inscribed with copious historic, and recent, graffiti.

T. Driver, RCAHMW, 29 Feb 2008.

Digital Images

Archive Records