The Welsh National War Memorial was erected in Cathays Park in 1928. Designed by Sir Ninian Comper, it is a circular colonnade of unfluted Corinthian columns with 3 projecting rectangular porticos. There is an inscription in English (exterior), and Welsh (interior). At the porticos (gated with iron gates) are 3 short flights of steps leading down to a circular space within which is set a circular fountain basin, in the centre of which, in turn is a three-sided podium. The podium has 3 bronze statutes of servicemen (representing the 3 services) bearing wreaths, topped by a bronze nude winged Archangel Michael, representing victory, and bronze dolphins below. It is a central feature of Alexandra Gardens (nprn 301652).
RCAHMW, 07 November 2008.