RHAYADER WAR MEMORIAL CLOCK TOWER
Map Reference SN96NE
Grid Reference SN9711068004
Unitary (Local) Authority Powys
Old County Radnorshire
Type of Site CLOCK TOWER, WAR MEMORIAL
Broad Class Commemorative
Period Post Medieval
Site Description A war memorial clock tower located at main crossroads of town, designed by B. Lloyd, architect, 1924.
Built in free classical style; square plan; mainly bathstone with grey-brown stone tower walls, dark stone plinth. A pavilion roof with small gothic-arched louvres bears a cross. The upper part has tapering tower with bathstone quoins and cornice; clock to each face. Lower part has engaged Doric columns to corners and open pediments containing figures supported on cornices above inscribed panels recording the names of the fallen in both the First World War and the Second World War.
Figures include a soldier (to the west), winged female figures (Peace?), and a Welsh Dragon defeating the German Eagle (to the east). (Cadw Listing database)
RCAHMW, 13 January 2014