1. Walling of Dixton Rd. and cottage on other side of the road indicate profile of wall and tower.
2. The Dixton Gate is thought to have been a twin-towered structure: a U-plan, vaulted structure remains, incorporated into the 'Nag's Head': the town defences of the med. & later borough (Nprn33172), largely decayed at the time of Leyland's visit (c.1538), included the Monnow bridge (Nprn24219) & can be associated with both the castle (Nprn93473) & Clawdd Du, enclosing Over Monnow (Nprn306510).
(source Os495card; SO51SW36)