Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

TEMPLETON

Site Details



NPRN 33212

Map Reference SN11SW

Grid Reference SN11311168

Unitary (Local) Authority Pembrokeshire

Old County Pembrokeshire

Community Templeton

Type of Site VILLAGE

Broad Class CIVIL

Period General

Site Description The name Templeton is thought to derive from “The Templar's Farm” or (“Tun”). It is reputed that the Knights Templar had some form of religious house here. In 1282 Templeton was called “Villa temparil” – the “Vil” or settlement of the Templars and a year later, “Villa Templarorium Campestris” – the vil of the Templars in the fields. In 1283 there was also a reference to “Burgesses”. Burgesses at Templeton are again recorded in the 16th century.

The layout of the present village may be interpreted as a classical example of deliberate planning in the Middle Ages, and one of the best surviving examples in West Wales. There is a single main street fronted by houses with their respected plots extending behind each dwelling. These houses and plots, the "burgages" of the Middle Ages, form a coherent unit imposed on the landscape and set in a regular system of fields, which themselves still show the narrow strips representing recent enclosures from an extensive medieval "open field" agricultural field system. It was once a marcher borough. Owen, in 1603, described it as one of nine Pembrokeshire "boroughs in decay".

Sentance Castle, just outside the village, is a raised fortification, a "ringwork", thought to date from the 12th century. Legends as recorded in the 13th century Mabinogion mention the area of Arberth and a place called Gorsedd Arberth, thought by some authorities to be Sentance Castle.

Associated with:
Templeton Cross (Nprn 304257)
Sentance Castle (Nprn 304256)
Templeton Airfield (Nprn 91717)

Reference:
Owen, George, The Description of Pembrokeshire, by George Owen of Henllys, Lord of Kemes, Henry Owen (Ed), London, 1892; reprinted (1994), Llandysul, Cardiganshire: Gomer Press,

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites