GARREG TOWER, WHITFORD

Site Details



NPRN
33228
Map Reference
SJ17NW
Grid Reference
SJ13367826
Unitary (Local) Authority
Flintshire
Old County
Flintshire
Community
Whitford
Type of Site
TOWER
Broad Class
Unassigned
Period
Post Medieval

Site Description


NAR SJ17NW23

A ruinous circular tower, about 6.45m diameter at ground level, tapering, or having stepped offsets: interpretations include its being a Roman pharos, a 16th-17th century watch/beacon tower and a 17th century windmill: when seen as an early 17th century watch tower, when raiding was rife, is can be considered with & compared to the superficially similar towers at Abergele (Nprn303360) & Bryniau (Nprn32574): restored for the Diamond Jubillee of 1897, by which time raiding had become uncommon.

Source: Lloyd 1964 (AC 113), 150-8.

J.Wiles 17.02.05

    Share this page: -