Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Site Details

NPRN 33228

Map Reference SJ17NW

Grid Reference SJ13367826

Unitary (Local) Authority Flintshire

Old County Flintshire

Community Whitford

Type of Site TOWER

Broad Class Unassigned

Period Post Medieval

Site Description NAR SJ17NW23

A ruinous circular tower, about 6.45m diameter at ground level, tapering, or having stepped offsets: interpretations include its being a Roman pharos, a 16th-17th century watch/beacon tower and a 17th century windmill: when seen as an early 17th century watch tower, when raiding was rife, is can be considered with & compared to the superficially similar towers at Abergele (Nprn303360) & Bryniau (Nprn32574): restored for the Diamond Jubillee of 1897, by which time raiding had become uncommon.

Source: Lloyd 1964 (AC 113), 150-8.

J.Wiles 17.02.05

Associated Sites