Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

NEWBRIDGE COLLIERY BEAM ENGINE, PONTYPRIDD

Site Details



NPRN 33717

Map Reference ST08NE

Grid Reference ST0826188525

Unitary (Local) Authority Rhondda, Cynon, Taff

Old County Glamorgan

Community Pontypridd

Type of Site PUMP, WINDING ENGINE

Broad Class INDUSTRIAL

Period 19th Century, Post Medieval

Site Description 1. The beam winding and pumping engine from Newbridge Colliery (nprn 403679) is now preserved outside the University of Glamorgan (the former School of Mining) (nprn 268151). Built 1845 by Varteg ironworks, it has a replacement cylinder of 1861 by Brown Lenox of Pontypridd.
(A Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of South East Wales, AIA, 2003)
B.A.Malaws, RCAHMW, 05 November 2005.

2. A steam winding engine, believed to have been the first in the Rhondda area, built by Varteg Ironworks in around 1845 and operating at Newbridge Colliery until 1919. It was re-erected in the grounds of Treforest School of Mines, now the University of Glamorgan, in 1920.
(Source: Collieries of Wales, RCAHMW)
B.A.Malaws, RCAHMW, 26 May 2011.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites