There are reports of an iron furnace here as early as 1590, replaced in 1606. The present remains date from about 1684 but the furnace went out of use in the second half of the eighteenth century. The charging bank and part of the charging bridge are visible, and above them the site of the charcoal store. Behind is a large bank of limekilns. The cast iron produced was converted to wrought iron at Llanelly Forge (nprn 34034), lower down the valley.
RCAHMW, 09 June 2008.