CLYDACH IRONWORKS, CLYDACH
Map Reference SO21SW
Grid Reference SO22901325
Unitary (Local) Authority Monmouthshire
Old County Brecknockshire
Type of Site IRON WORKS
Broad Class Industrial
Period Post Medieval
Site Description At Clydach Ironworks two square blast furnaces were constructed 1793 and 1797, a third circular furnace was constructed in 1826 and fourth furnace was constructed in 1842. By 1841 the works employed over 1,350 men but production ceased in 1877. The site is accessed by Smart's Bridge (nprn 34633), spanning the Clydach River, which is a cast-iron structure of lancet tracery dated 1824.
In 1986 the site was excavated and partially restored but it was subsequently abandoned. The exposed remains include three furnaces and one charging house, together with the pit for a 12.8m (42ft) diameter cast-iron water-wheel. The air blast for the original furnaces 1 and 2 was provided by the waterwheel; air for furnaces 3 and 4 being provided by a steam engine.
Source: A Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of South East Wales, AIA, 2003
Claire Parry, RCAHMW, 15 July 2011.