ANGLETON IRON FURNACE, BRIDGEND
Map Reference SS98SW
Grid Reference SS90428198
Unitary (Local) Authority Bridgend
Old County Glamorgan
Community Coity Higher
Type of Site IRON FURNACE
Broad Class INDUSTRIAL
Period 16th Century, Post Medieval
Site Description Angleton iron furnace was built in 1589 by Robert Sidney of Penshurst; this was the only attempt to introduce a blast furnace into central Glamorgan before the eighteenth century. The furnace was still in use in 1600. A junction of two walls, slightly greater than a right angle, is all that remains. The walls, 2.5m high, are formed of thin slabs of sandstone which have a thin coating of slag on the exposed surface. Debris has been heaped against the outer sides and tops of walls. When visited in 1990 the remains were held together by the roots of a tree.
Remains of another furnace (nprn 300385) lie some 80m to the north.
RCAHMW, 08 June 2010.