Tondu Ironworks were established in the 1820s; the works ceased production in 1895-6. The strategic location of the site ensured its continuing use as a wagon repair works and later as the West Wales Headquarters of the National Coal Board. Extant structures include beehive coking ovens, calcining kilns, a lift tower and the former blowing engine house. The site is now a scheduled monument and is currently being redeveloped as an Industrial Heritage park.
B.A.Malaws, RCAHMW, 10 April 2001.