Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Site Details

NPRN 34238

Map Reference SS79SW

Grid Reference SS73639362

Unitary (Local) Authority Neath, Port Talbot

Old County Glamorgan

Community Briton Ferry

Type of Site DOCK

Broad Class Maritime

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Briton Ferry Dock (nprn 34237) was constructed to designs by Brunel and opened in 1861. It comprises an inner floating dock and an outer tidal basin with an overall area of about 181 acres. Entry to the dock was through a single buoyant lock gate. It closed in 1959 and is now largely silted up although the walls are intact. Still to be seen are the partially dismantled lock gate.

(Site entry from "A Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of the Swansea Region", Association for Industrial Archaeology, 2nd Edition, 1989)
J Hill 24.10.2003

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites