Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

KYMER'S CANAL, KIDWELLY

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 34395

Map Reference SN40NW

Grid Reference SN44570680

Unitary (Local) Authority Carmarthenshire

Old County Carmarthenshire

Community Kidwelly

Type of Site CANAL

Broad Class TRANSPORT

Period 18th Century, Post Medieval

Site Description Kymer's Canal, Kidwelly, was the first canal of any length in Wales, at 4.8 kilometres (3 miles). It was built by Thomas Kymer from 1766 to 1768 to carry coal from the Gwendraeth Fawr to Kidwelly where a quay was constructed (NPRN 34200). It was later incorporated into the Kidwelly & Llanelly Canal (NPRN 34390/3) and subsequently a branch of the Burry Port & Gwendraeth Valley Railway was laid on the towpath in 1873. A section of the canal can be seen at Muddlescombe, and at Pwll y Llygod a fine tramroad bridge crosses the canal (NPRN 43100).

Source:
"A Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of the Swansea Region", Association for Industrial Archaeology, 2nd Edition, 1989)

RCAHMW, 11 October 2011.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites