Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

CHIRK AQUEDUCT, LLANGOLLEN CANAL;ELLESMERE CANAL;SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL, CHIRK

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 34406

Map Reference SJ23NE

Grid Reference SJ2870037283

Unitary (Local) Authority Wrexham

Old County Denbighshire

Community Chirk

Type of Site AQUEDUCT

Broad Class TRANSPORT

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Designed by Thomas Telford, the aqueduct carries the Ellesmere Canal (later the Llangollen and Shropshire Union) across the valley of the Ceiriog River, seventy feet below. It has 10 curved stone arches with spans of 40ft. The canal itself is carried in an internal cast-iron trough. The foundation stone of the Chirk Aqueduct was laid on 17 June 1796 and work was completed in 1801 by John Simpson, William Hazledine of Salop Builders and William Davies of Chirk.

The Chirk Aqueduct was the first of the Welsh aqueducts to be constructed for the Llangollen canal (the Act for which was passed in 1793), and was industrially very important, as this section of canal allowed the coalfields, granite quarries and slate mines in the Ceiriog valley to be linked.

RCAHMW, 2010.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites