TENNANT CANAL: RIVER NEATH AQUEDUCT;ABERDULAIS CAST- IRON AQUEDUCT
Map Reference SS79NE
Grid Reference SS77299929
Unitary (Local) Authority Neath, Port Talbot
Old County Glamorgan
Type of Site AQUEDUCT
Broad Class Transport
Period Post Medieval
Site Description The Aberdulais Aqueduct crosses the River Neath. It was constructed in 1823 to complete the Tennant Canal and was engineered by William Kirkhouse. The structure is 130 metres (340 ft) and is carried on ten masonry arches. To the north-west it is continued through a cast-iron trough over an earlier navigable cut. The aqueduct is the longest canal aqueduct in South Wales but it is a very traditional British narrow-canal type.
The basin contains remains of sunken boats and at the north there is a buried dry dock by a slip-way. At the junction of the Tennant and Neath canals there is a roving bridge, which is known as Pont Gam (crooked bridge). The bridge’s flanking walls are carried on a corbelled series of masonry courses. The only lock on the canal's main line is south of the aqueduct with an office and lock-keepers house.
Hughes, S.R. & Reynold, P. "A Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of the Swansea Region", Association for Industrial Archaeology: Royal Commission on Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales; 2nd Edition, 1989
Note 4 Stephen Hughes, RCAHMW 15 January 2007
RCAHMW, 11 October 2011