The replacement of an earlier station, the present buildings of Cardiff general railway station were erected in 1932-34, to the designs of the Great Western Railway's architect's department under the Unemployment Relief Scheme. The station includes a Portland stone booking-hall, with a clock cupola and recently re-installed Art Deco lighting. Platform blocks are cream-glazed (Doulton) and the canopies are contemporary.
To the north, on the site of Temperance Town (nprn 409133), lies Cardiff Central Bus Station (nprn 407179).
B.A.Malaws, RCAHMW, 03 July 2009.