Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

LANDORE VIADUCT, LANDORE, SOUTH WALES RAILWAY

Site Details



NPRN 34816

Map Reference SS69NE

Grid Reference SS66209580

Unitary (Local) Authority Swansea

Old County Glamorgan

Community Landore

Type of Site RAILWAY VIADUCT

Broad Class TRANSPORT

Period 19th Century, Post Medieval

Site Description The original viaduct across the Tawe valley, built in 1847-50, was one of Brunel's timber structures with some masonry piers. It was replaced in 1888-89 by a steel girder bridge and the eastern part converted into an embankment. The decking was renewed in 1978-79. The five masonry piers, each with two arched openings, which support the bridge where it crosses the river, belong to the original structure. The main span has a length of 30.5 metres (100 feet).

Source:
Stephen Hughes and Paul Reynolds (1989) 'A Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of the Swansea Region' Association for Industrial Archaeology.

RCAHMW, 19 October 2011.

Digital Images

Archive Records