Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

SWANSEA VICTORIA RAILWAY STATION, VICTORIA ROAD, SWANSEA

Site Details



NPRN 34874

Map Reference SS69SE

Grid Reference SS6580792735

Unitary (Local) Authority Swansea

Old County Glamorgan

Community Castle (Swansea)

Type of Site RAILWAY STATION

Broad Class TRANSPORT

Period 19th Century, Post Medieval

Site Description Swansea (Victoria) Railway Station was opened to passengers in 1867 (the nearby goods station was opened in 1866) by the Llanelly Railway. Until 1964 it was the southern terminus of the Central Wales Line (nprn 291119), a railway route between Swansea and Shrewsbury comprising lines built by a number of railway companies. In 1873 the Llanelli Railway was taken over by the London & North Western Railway and from 1923 was part of the London Midland & Scottish Railway. The station had an iron trussed roof; it was badly damaged during World War II but never repaired. The station and line as far as Gorseinon closed in 1964 and the site was redeveloped in the 1970s for Swansea Leisure Centre.
B.A.Malaws, RCAHMW, 08 October 2009.

Archive Records

Associated Sites