Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

THE PRIORY; CARDIGAN MEMORIAL HOSPITAL

Site Details



NPRN 35163

Map Reference SN14NE

Grid Reference SN1814046029

Unitary (Local) Authority Ceredigion

Old County Cardiganshire

Community Cardigan

Type of Site DWELLING

Broad Class DOMESTIC

Period Post Medieval

Site Description 1. 18th century house on site of Benedictine priory. Earlier house 17th century was residence of Catherine Phillips 1631-1664. The"matchless Orinda" of Jeremy Taylor & Chris Cotteral, Now enlarged & is a hospital.

2. On the grounds of a Benedictine priory, the large country house was designed by John Nash and built by John Bowes in 1805. The building is essentially rectangular in shape. It was enlarged 1922 when it became Cardigan hospital and is 2 to 3 storeys high with a basement. A hipped slate roof with eaves and a number of bricked chimney stacks. The windows are mainly sash and mixed in shape, either rectangular or arched.

CD/Domestic/SN14NE

CHN 18/11/03

Digital Images

Archive Records