Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

EDWARDS OF MONMOUTH, FORMER ANGEL HOTEL, ST MARY'S STREET

Site Details



NPRN 36389

Map Reference SO51SW

Grid Reference SO50861292

Unitary (Local) Authority Monmouthshire

Old County Monmouthshire

Community Monmouth

Type of Site HOTEL

Broad Class COMMERCIAL

Period Post Medieval

Site Description This building is C16 or early C17 in origin, but is of late C18 in appearance and was probably refronted when it became a hotel. The building is recorded as already being an inn in 1700 and eventually closed in 1985. It therefore has the longest continuous history of any public house in Monmouth. Following closure, it was extensively altered as part of its conversion to a furniture showroom. During the cycling craze of the 1880s and 1890s, the Angel Hotel was the headquarters of the Monmouth branch of the Cyclists Touring Club.

It is a two-storey building which is rendered and painted, probably over rubblestone, with a Welsh slate roof. It also has a double depth central entrance plan. It has a timber Doric doorcase with a pediment and a six-panel door. This is flanked by tripartite fixed windows with 4 x 4 panes in the centre and 1 x 4 sidelights. The upper windows are all 6 over 6 pane sashes. It has a fairly steeply pitched roof with a hip to the left and a large gable stack to the right, which could be c1700 and which was then heightened in the C19.

It is included for its special architectural interest as a multi-period house of definite character in the Monmouth town centre.

Daryl Leeworthy, RCAHMW, 24 March 2011.
(Original entry text: NJR 16 February 2009; Source: Cadw Listed Buildings).

Archive Records