Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST JOHN'S CHURCH, SARNAU

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 400366

Map Reference SN35SW

Grid Reference SN3154551070

Unitary (Local) Authority Ceredigion

Old County Cardiganshire

Community Penbryn

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description St John's Church is situated within a triangular churchyard, bounded by roads on its north-east and south-east sides. The church,built as a chapel of ease to St Michael's Church, Penbryn (NPRN 105363), opened in 1889. The church's former square, scalloped sandstone font dates to the twelfth century. It was found in a field near Cenarth and is thought to have originated from St Llawddog's Church, Cenarth (NPRN 309895). The font has now been removed to St Michael's Church, Penbryn.

The church was constructed in 1887-1889, to the designs of David Davies. It consists of nave, semi-octagonal chancel, south porch and north vestry and west bellecote. The walls are of roughly coursed local rubble-stone with brick window dressings. A bellcote to the west end has brick quoins. The windows are tall lancets with centred arched heads. The nave roof is of close coupled scissor braced rafters. The chancel roof is branded. The church was redundant by 1984.

Sources include:
Lloyd, T, Orbach, J and Scourfield, R, 2006, The Buildings of Wales: Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion

RCAHMW, 7 February 2013

Archive Records

Associated Sites