Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

CHRIST CHURCH, ROSSETT

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 400731

Map Reference SJ35NE

Grid Reference SJ36505718

Unitary (Local) Authority Wrexham

Old County Denbighshire

Community Rossett

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description Christ Church is located to the north of the B5102 Chester road as it turns south towards the Alyn Bridge. It is reached by a Lych gate with carved bargeboards and an inscription dated 1899.
The church is a late Gothic Revival construction designed by Douglas and Fordham of Chester in 1886 and was built in 1891-2. It replaced an earlier Gothic Revival church of 1841 in the Early English style; the font of this is now to be found in the graveyard, and its curtilage walls still define the site.
The church is constructed of deeply dressed stone laid in irregular courses, the first three courses of larger grey stones acting as a plinth, and roofed in green slate. It is built to a cruciform plan with a long nave and north aisle of five bays, short high chancel and transepts, and square tower to crossing. The north transept serves as a chapel whilst the south transept is the vestry.
(from the Cadw Listing database)

RCAHMW, 3 October 2014

Archive Records