Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST BEUNO'S COLLEGE (JESUIT SEMINARY), NOW ST BEUNO'S IGNATIAN SPRITUALITY CENTRE

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 400800

Map Reference SJ07SE

Grid Reference SJ0800774225

Unitary (Local) Authority Denbighshire

Old County Flintshire

Community Tremeirchion

Type of Site COLLEGE

Broad Class EDUCATION, RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description St Beuno's College originally opened in 1849 as a Jesuit seminary. The buildings and grounds were extended in 1873-4. It is now a spirituality centre.
The original buildings were laid out around a central quadrangle and are in an oppressive collegiate neo-Tudor style. The original entrance is below a grand four storey tower and the chapel (NPRN 97334) lies on the far side of the court. An open entrance court was added on the north in 1873. These later buildings are perhaps rather more grandiose than the original college buildings.
The college stands within extensive gardens and grounds (NPRN 266231) on the far side of which is the Rock Chapel (NPRN 12453).

Source: CADW Listed Buildings Database (26459)

John Wiles 07.01.08

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites