Remains of the Cwmafan Copper Works flue and stack. Copper smelting was established in Cwmafan in 1835 and copper was produced from 1838 until its abandonment in 1906. The flue was constructed to combat the effects of the pollution caused by the works and comprised a culvert that climbed the slope to the W of the works, culminating in a stack situated on the summit. The stack was intentionally destroyed in 1940 as it was felt to be a navigational aid to the Luftwaffe during the bombing raids on Swansea. The roof of the culvert was largely destroyed during cable laying as part of the construction of a communication mast close to the summit of the hill.
Source: Cadw scheduling description. FF 23/09/2004