Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

HAINE'S MILL, NEW RADNOR

Site Details


NPRN 40294

Map Reference SO26SW

Grid Reference SO2033760460

Unitary (Local) Authority Powys

Old County Radnorshire

Community New Radnor

Type of Site CORN MILL

Broad Class AGRICULTURE AND SUBSISTENCE

Period Post Medieval, Medieval

Site Description Stone to top of first floor, weatherboarded above. Overshot wheel, 12 ft. diameter. 6 wooden arms, iron rim. Large oak shaft. 2 pairs stones. Mill machinery working in 1940, not working by 1951 (Gardener). Summergill Brook. (1998.11.13/RCAHMW/BAM)

[Additional:] Mill gutted when house noted in 1994. Was overshot with long leat. Mill House = NPRN 304296. (RFS/2002)

The mill is located on the north side of a pre-turnpike stretch of the A44 road. There is documentary evidence for the medieval origins of Haine's Mill. The tenant in 1481 was one Morris Draper, succedded in 1508 by Thomas Davis, and then by Anne Griffiths and her sone who held it from 1534. The mill was cited in Letters Patent renewing the charter of New Radnor in 1642 (1).

(1) R.Colyer, Roads & Trackways of Wales (1984), p.107.

RCAHMW, 4 January 2013

Archive Records