Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST MARYS CHURCH, MANOROWEN

Site Details



NPRN 403329

Map Reference SM93NW

Grid Reference SM93403630

Unitary (Local) Authority Pembrokeshire

Old County Pembrokeshire

Community Scleddau

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Marked on the 1837 Tithe Map and substantially rebuilt in 1872 to the plans of Foster and Wood of Bristol.

Constructed of rubble stone with grey stone dressings. Comprises of a nave, chancel, north porch, south vestry and a west bellcote. It has a slate roof with crested ridge tiles and cross finials, with a brick chimney to the southeast corner of the nave. The nave has three 2-light windows on south side and two similar on the north side together with one single light window. These windows have odd brick trilobe decorative arches in two colour brick with infill of yellow brick crosses. there is one lancet in the north wall of the chancel. The east wall has 3 light window with similar brick head and a memorial to Ursula Painter c1670 under. The gabled south vestry has a 2 light S window. Bellcote pedimented with cross finial., with a small lancet under the bellcote. The stone porch dates to c1925 and has a slate roof and inner pointed doorway with brick decoration similar to main windows. The oldest gravestone dates to c1791.

Internally the walls are plastered with pointed arched reveals. The nave has two tie beam and king post trusses, and the nave and chancel have rafter roof with scissor bracing. the east window and the two larger north windows are First World War stained glass memorials by Powell. there is a coffin shaped slab to Richard Fenton, historian, on the south wall of the nave. Plain pine pews and pulpit. Pointed plastered chancel arch. Tthe chancel has boarded roof and Victorian tessellated pavement in sanctuary (c1892). Oak altar rail with brass supports of same date.

(Source; Cadw listing database) S Fielding RCAHMW 15/07/2005