TREDEGAR IRONWORKS CHOLERA CEMETERY;CEFN GOLAU CHOLERA CEMETERY
Map Reference SO10NW
Grid Reference SO13880758
Unitary (Local) Authority Blaenau Gwent
Old County Monmouthshire
Type of Site CEMETERY
Broad Class Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Period 19th Century
Site Description A cemetery begun for victims of the 1832 cholera epidemic in Tredegar, although mainly occupied by victims of the more serious outbreak that occurred in the summer of 1849. The cemetery enclosure measures 36m (north-south) by 19m, and is bound by a modern steel fence, which was erected in 2008 to replace the original wrought-iron fence. It appears to contain six rows of graves with some 30 graves in each row. About 25 headstones remain standing, some broken, and roughly another 25 fallen slabs are visible. Other graves are marked by stone edgings or mounds. Among legible inscriptions, in English and Welsh, nearly all record cholera deaths in 1849 and many are directly ascribed to workers at Tredegar Ironworks. One is dated to 1866. As there were often several burials per plot, total interments may number between 200 and 600. Similar cemeteries are known to have existed at Thomastown (Merthyr Tydfil) and Aberdare, but these have been cleared and no others are known to survive.
Recorded as part of RCAHMW Uplands Initiative Project, W B Horton, H & H, 27/06/2013.