Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

FFOS-Y-BLEIDDIAID FARMSTEAD, SWYDDFFYNNON;FFOS Y BLEIDDIAID FARMSTEAD

Site Details



NPRN 403707

Map Reference SN66NE

Grid Reference SN68736714

Unitary (Local) Authority Ceredigion

Old County Cardiganshire

Community Tregaron

Type of Site FARMSTEAD

Broad Class AGRICULTURE AND SUBSISTENCE

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Today Ffos-Y-Bleiddiaiad is a farm of 300 acres with its late-C18th/early-C19th farmhouse set beyond the main group of traditional farm buildings, which although altered, probably date from the early C19th. It is believed to be the home of the Lloyd family from at least the C16th and had 4 hearths in 1670 when owned by John Lloyd. A John Lloyd was born at the farm in 1726 and in 1809 it belonged to John Lloyd of Mabws. In 1886 it was sold to the Crosswood Estate and the house was probably improved soon afterwards. The internal tongue & groove partitions to each floor of the house may have been part of these improvements. Similarly the lofted stable range is a new building with inscribed date stone 1897 on a quoin-stone in the south gable-end. Most other early-C19th buildings have been altered apart from a 3-unit cart-house with granary over.
Farm buildings
The line of the present buildings is shown on the OS 1888 and 1905 25" maps, although most have been altered and the stable is shown only on the 1905 map. The owner stated that there had been a water mill for threshing along the east side of the barn. Both maps show a pond with sluice and the outline of a leet leading to the barn. The barn was the lower part of the long range running north to south, which has been re-built in early-C20th brick, the top part once a cow-house. A range in-line above the road has the appearance of a former cow-house, now with brick arched openings. Above this is an early-mid C20th corrugated-iron roofed hay-shed, supported by railway line iron posts.
A stone-built and slate-roofed 3-unit cart-house with granary over faces east has stone arched openings for carts and stone steps to granary over (building not entered, as in poor condition). A lofted stable of 1897 is stone-built and slate roofed, of `L' shape plan, situated on a platform with the land sloping to the west. Behind the house is a stone-built 3-unit row of pig sties with pitched slate roofs.
Ref. CADW list Description.
Visited Geoff Ward & Louise Barker, 26/10/2005.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites