Tinplate manufacture started at Kidwelly in 1737 on the site of an earlier forge and continued until 1941. The works area has now
been re-developed as an industrial museum with special emphasis on the tinplate industery. Among the relics of
the tinplate works are a water-powered mill, a plaque of 1801 recording a rebuilding of that year, and a fine steam engine
which powered the cold rolls. At the north end of the site the headframe and winding engine from Morlais Colliery (NPRN 33675) have been re-erected.
(Site entry from "A Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of the Swansea Region", Association for Industrial Archaeology, 2nd Edition, 1989)
J Hill, RCAHMW 24 October 2003