Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST JAMES' CHURCH, WALWYNS CASTLE

Site Details



NPRN 404212

Map Reference SM81SE

Grid Reference SM87271121

Unitary (Local) Authority Pembrokeshire

Old County Pembrokeshire

Community Walwyns Castle

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval, Medieval

Site Description St James the Great:
The church is situated at the centre of the village of Walwyn's Castle, strikingly placed on a raised church yard, close to the earthwork remains of the Castle. It comprises of a late 14th/ early 15th century tower, the ground storey of which is barrel vaulted. The battlements and belfry lights date from a rebuilding by F. Wehnert, begun in 1869 and finished by E.H. Lingen Barker in 1878, to the original plans.

The current church plan follows that of the old church: nave, north porch and chancel. Inside there is a tall chancel arch, with continuous triple role decoration; a medieval font (plain square bowl); pews and pulpit by Lingen Barker; reredos by John Coates Carter, erected c.1925 as a war memorial - three bays long, brightly painted panels united by weaving teaxts and a rainbow, and a stained glass east window, dating to 1928, by Powell of Whitefriars.

Source:
Lloyd, T; Orbach J & Scourfield R, 2004 'The Buildings of Wales: Pembrokeshire' (pg 492-493)

Louise Barker, RCAHMW, July 2007

Digital Images

Archive Records