STAR HOTEL, TYNYLA RAOD, YSTRAD
Map Reference SS99SE
Grid Reference SS9892194947
Unitary (Local) Authority Rhondda, Cynon, Taff
Old County Glamorgan
Type of Site HOTEL
Broad Class COMMERCIAL
Period Post Medieval
Site Description The building is dated 1913 and is built upon the site of an earlier inn. First edition OS map 1877 shows an extensive early industrial settlement along this stretch of the Rhondda, and Penrhys on the mountain top to the north was an important site of medieval pilgrimage and that mountain road represents the only major crossing between Rhondda Fawr and Rhondda Fach. Thus the site at the junction of the two roads is of historical significance and supports the inn's claim to be the oldest in the Rhondda. In a travelogue of 1847 by Cliffe it is describe as an ancient place and the only hotel in the valley. Handball court, quoits pitch, cockpit and stables formerly adjacent.The present building was erected in 1913 around the old inn which was afterwards demolished with no break in service. Known as The Star Hotel Gellidawel, Gellidawel being the name of the small area of early settlement to E, and Gelligaled, the main thoroughfare to N, taken from the name of the stream.
Constructed in an Edwardian Baroque style, the building is mostly rendered with rough cast, partly red brick, with stone and brick dressings and a Welsh slate roof with ridge and gable stacks. It has two storeys and is asymmetrical with main entrance and frontage to the junction, and second entrance on the main Rhondda thoroughfare. A very decorative, gabled end, entrance bay breaks forward, with banded brick and stone pilasters with decorative stone capitals, and a dentil moulded cornice, which give pediment treatment, enriched by stone and brick decoration and a terracotta star and date. At first floor level is a central multipane window, the stone architrave of which has volutes to the jambs and blind semicircular head with keystone. The ground floor has an imposing, semicircular, brick entrance bay with a stone balustraded parapet and large central inscription. The original door, now blocked, is flanked by Ionic capitals with two side windows.
The long frontage to Tyntyla Road comprises a 2-window gable end facade and a longer recessed bay, both of contrasting render, brick and stone. The former is dominated by a wide central brick flue with attached stone mouldings rising to a corniced chimney, and stone and brick pilasters as on the main frontage. The first floor windows, with multipane upper sections, have semi-circular heads emphasised by brick hoodmoulds, and long ground floor windows, now partly blocked, have deep decorative pedimented stone surrounds. The latter has a porch with paired columns on brick plinth walls parallel to the gable end, and the long elevation is similarly dominated by a central brick panel with a decorative stone inscription, a narrow horned 6/6 pane sash window at 1st floor level and a heavy decorative cornice rising above the eaves. There are some other multipane windows and prominent stone mullions; the roof is hipped to right and the wall terminates in a matching stone and brick pilaster.
The original axis was on a central passage from main entrance but interior has been replanned and refurbished.
(Source; cadw listing database) S Fielding RCAHMW 21/09/2006