Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST GWYNDAF'S CHURCH, DINAS, LLANWNDA

Site Details



NPRN 405153

Map Reference SH45NE

Grid Reference SH4759758673

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Caernarfonshire

Community Llanwnda

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description The parish church of St Gwyndaf lies at the western edge of the village of Dinas, on the north side of the approach road in a rectangular churchyard (originally oval) used as a cemetery. It is a nineteenth-century church built on the site of a medieval predecessor. The present church was built in 1847 as a cruciform Neo-Norman church with apse, to designs of George Alexander. It is constructed of regularly coursed and dressed rubblestone blocks with tooled ashlar dressings, and slate roofs with slate-coped verges to nave and Celtic crosses to transepts and east end of nave. The church consists of nave, transepts, south porch, double bellcote, lean-to north vestry to west wall of north transept, and short chancel with semi-circular apse with conical roof; lit through round-headed windows. The interior is spacious with plain arches to the chancel and transepts. The nave roof is of six bays, arch-braced trusses on stone corbels with V-struts from collars to principal rafters, and double-purlins and exposed rafters.
Various items from the old church survive including a seventeenth or eighteenth century chest in the north transept, with strap-hinged curved lid made from two planks, three original large locks and two additional small ones; two small copper collection shovels with wooden handles in the chancel, the backs inscribed "Rhodd Lhwyd Foxwist A.B./ O Rhyddallt/ i Eglwys Llanwnda/ Hydref 16, 1772"; a mahogany chair (c.1800); and an early eighteenth-century communion table in the vestry, of oak with shaped brackets from heavy turned legs supporting framing and with a later top. There are a number of monuments fixed to the walls which date from 1612 to 1914.
Sources:
RCAHMW, Caernarvonshire Inventory II (Central) (1960), No. 1327.
Cadw Listing description.
R.Haslam, J.Orbach & Adam Voelcker, Buildings of Wales: Gwynedd (2009), p.461.

RCAHMW, 8 March 2016


John Wiles 23/10/2006

Digital Images

Archive Records