DINORWIC SLATE QUARRY
Map Reference SH56SE
Grid Reference SH59336058
Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd
Old County Caernarfonshire
Type of Site SLATE QUARRY
Broad Class INDUSTRIAL
Period 19th Century, 18th Century
Site Description Dinorwic Quarry includes the remains of the Braich levels of the Dinorwic Slate Quarry which operated from around 1770 to 1969. Many of the levels remain intact following the construction of Dinorwic Pumped Storage Power Station (NPRN 408885). The series of ‘A’ inclines from Gilfach Ddu (NPRN40559) and the Anglesey barracks have been scheduled and preserved.
The surviving remains of the site include four substantial counterbalanced inclines, complete with rails, sleepers and drumhouses, a weighbridge house, locomotive sheds, water tanks and an office and caban. There is also a blondin with winding house and an electric compressor house. There is a large slate mill with two integral engine houses and saws, catslide extension and smithing hearth.
In 1972 the site opened to the public as a museum. Equipment was collected from other slate quarries and parts of the site were restored. It is now the National Slate Museum and part of the National Museum of Wales.
David Gwyn & Merfyn Williams (1996) ‘A Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of North West Wales’. Association for Industrial Archaeology
RCAHMW, 3 November 2011