Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

MARCONI LONG WAVE TRANSMITTING STATION, WAUNFAWR TRANSMITTING STATION, PLAS-Y-CELYN, CEFN DU

Site Details



NPRN 405838

Map Reference SH56SW

Grid Reference SH5331860770

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Caernarfonshire

Community Waunfawr

Type of Site RADIO STATION

Broad Class COMMUNICATIONS

Period 20th Century, Modern

Site Description The remains of the first successful Marconi long wave transmitting station are situated on the west-northwest slopes of Cefn Du, to the west of Llanberis. Much of the complex has survived on the hillside due in most part to the rugged nature of the concrete constructed footings. The site is extensive, ranging up to 2 sq. km in area. It was approached from the west, from the village of Waunfawr. The transmitter house still exists at the end of the entry drive and on the high ground to the east, there are the substantial remains of numerous radio mast bases, access tracks and ancillary buildings. The station was in use between 1912 and 1938 and was for many years the most important long wave station in Britain, handling imperial and international communications. The receiving station (nprn 421024) was at Tywyn.
Source: Williams, H., Marconi and his Wireless Stations in Wales, Gwasg Carreg Gwalch, Llanrwst, 1999.
RCAHMW, 2009.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites