Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

CHURCH OF SS ASAPH AND CYNDEYRN; ST ASAPH CHURCH; CHURCH OF SS ASAPH AND KENTIGERN

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 408620

Map Reference SJ18SW

Grid Reference SJ1065681430

Unitary (Local) Authority Flintshire

Old County Flintshire

Community Llanasa

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval, Medieval

Site Description St Asaph church, Llanasa is a Medieval Perpendicular style church comprising a nave and chancel under a single roof and with a west tower, and a parallel south aisle under a separate roof with a porch. The church is built of rubble stone with lighter freestone dressings and a slate roof with overhanging eaves and with behind coped gables on moulded kneelers. The aisle has a porch which has a segmental pointed arch. The church holds the tomb of Sir Peter Mostyn (d.1605) and is a low chest tomb with a Latin inscription band below the moulded cornice of the cap stone.

The east windows are 15th century with later restoration. The north wall has mainly square-headed Tudor-Gothic windows. The north door is round-headed, the head inscribed: 'Edward Foulks, William Jones, Churchwardens 1750'. The doorway has a boarded door with strap hinges.

The tower has a splayed base, tall lower stage, and narrower upper stage with pyramidal stone roof. It has round-headed bell openings. The west wall of the aisle has a lean-to boiler room, above which a re-used stone set into the wall is carved with Norman relief decoration.

The church was remodelled in the 18th and 19th centuries.

Reference: Cadw listed buildings database.

Digital Images

Archive Records