Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

CRAIG-Y-NOS RAILWAY STATION, NEATH AND BRECON RAILWAY, PENWYLLT

Site Details



NPRN 408681

Map Reference SN81NE

Grid Reference SN8546615719

Unitary (Local) Authority Powys

Old County Brecknockshire

Community Tawe-uchaf

Type of Site RAILWAY STATION BUILDING

Broad Class TRANSPORT

Period Post Medieval

Site Description The Neath and Brecon Railway (nprn 401414) opened to Brecon in 1867. Adelina Patti, the renowned soprano who bought nearby Craig-y-nos Castle (nprn 25344) in 1886, funded the construction of a comparatively elaborate station building at Penwyllt, known as Craig-y-nos. It is a single storey building of rusticated coursed stonework under a pitched roof. Passenger services were withdrawn in 1962 but the line remained open from Penwyllt southwards until 1977 to serve Penwyllt Quarries; the quarry generously restored the building, including Mme. Patti's private waiting room, and it still stands intact.
B.A.Malaws, RCAHMW, 29 January 2009.

Digital Images

Archive Records