PORT TALBOT STEEL WORKS, PORT TALBOT

Site Details



NPRN
409888
Map Reference
SS78NE
Grid Reference
SS7647089620
Unitary (Local) Authority
Neath, Port Talbot
Old County
Glamorgan
Community
Margam Moors
Type of Site
STEEL WORKS
Broad Class
Industrial
Period
Modern;20th Century

Site Description

Port Talbot Steel Works was constructed in 1901-5; it was closed in 1961 and the site demolished in 1963. The works was named after Christopher Rice Mansel Talbot of Margam, the principal sponsor of the nearby dock, which had opened in 1837. The General Offices (nprn 301405) of the Port Talbot Steel Company survive, now converted to a Magistrates Court, but the rest of the site is an industrial estate.
B.A.Malaws, RCAHMW, 23 November 2009.

    Share this page: -