PORT TALBOT STEEL WORKS, PORT TALBOT
Map Reference SS78NE
Grid Reference SS7647089620
Unitary (Local) Authority Neath, Port Talbot
Old County Glamorgan
Community Margam Moors
Type of Site STEEL WORKS
Broad Class INDUSTRIAL
Period 20th Century, Modern
Site Description Port Talbot Steel Works was constructed in 1901-5; it was closed in 1961 and the site demolished in 1963. The works was named after Christopher Rice Mansel Talbot of Margam, the principal sponsor of the nearby dock, which had opened in 1837. The General Offices (nprn 301405) of the Port Talbot Steel Company survive, now converted to a Magistrates Court, but the rest of the site is an industrial estate.
B.A.Malaws, RCAHMW, 23 November 2009.