Pontypool Union Workhouse was built in 1837 to accommodate 100 inmates (later increased to almost 200). The workhouse had an entrance driveway at the east of the main buildings. To the rear of the entrance block, the main building followed the popular cruciform layout. A front block at the east led to a central hub from which radiated wings for the various classes of inmate. The western range of the may building may have contained the original infirmary. In 1895, a new two-storey infirmary was erected to the north of the workhouse. In 1899-1900, the workhouse was substantially enlarged with a major redevelopment of the main block at the south-east of the site.
The workhouse later became the Panteg County Hospital, with extensive further additions at the north of the site.
Reference: Foster, Brian: A History Of Pontypool Union Workhouse 1838-1930 (1991)