Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

LLANELLY AND MYNYDD MAWR RAILWAY

Site Details



NPRN 411059

Map Reference SN50SW

Grid Reference SN5170003130

Unitary (Local) Authority Carmarthenshire

Old County Carmarthenshire

Community Llanelli Rural

Type of Site RAILWAY

Broad Class TRANSPORT

Period 19th Century, Post Medieval

Site Description The Llanelly and Mynydd Mawr Railway (LMMR) was built on the track of the defunct 1802 Carmarthenshire Tramroad or Railway (NPRN 275707) and opened in 1883. It evenually linked New Cross Hands Colliery (NPRN 33409) with Mynydd Mawr coal loading stages (NPRN 34205) in Llanelli Docks. The route followed closely the earlier alignment, departing from it in a few locations (for example at at NGR SN5170003130) where the 1802 formation can be seen as a separate feature. The northenmost section of the tramroad between Cross Hands and Gors-las, about 800m, was not included in the reconstruction and was abandoned. The short section of the LMMR between the coal loading stages and Llanelli North Dock (NPRN 34207) closed in 1924, thence across the South Wales main line in 1951, between Cross Hands and Cynheidre Colliery (NPRN 33393) in 1966 and the remaining section in 1989.

B.A.Malaws, RCAHMW, 14 June 2010.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites