Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

DYFFRYN; DYFFRYN HOUSE, MOUNTAIN ASH

Site Details



NPRN 411456

Map Reference ST09NW

Grid Reference ST0409599858

Unitary (Local) Authority Rhondda, Cynon, Taff

Old County Glamorgan

Community Mountain Ash

Type of Site MANSION

Broad Class DOMESTIC

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Duffryn House was the home of Lord Aberdare. It was a substantial mock-Elizabethan, 2-storey and attics building with ornate tall chimneys, gable timber finials, fretted eaves boards, a pyramid roofed tower and half-timbering.

In 1926 the house was purchased by the Glamorgan Education Authority and became the County Grammar School, later part of Mountain Ash Upper Comprehensive School. The house was used for lessons up until 1983, when it was found to be unsafe and eventually demolished.

References: Rhondda Cynon Taf Library Service (2006), early postcards.
RCAHMW, 2010.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites