Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

THE BOROUGH CEMETERY;THE MUNICIPAL CEMETERY, ABERYSTWYTH

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 411747

Map Reference SN58SE

Grid Reference SN59168125

Unitary (Local) Authority Ceredigion

Old County Cardiganshire

Community Aberystwyth

Type of Site MUNICIPAL CEMETERY

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description This Municipal cemetery was established in 1860 and laid out and planted by the well known plantsman James Dickson of Chester. It has the original (restored) iron gates by the Coalbrookdale Company 1860, and a designed Tudor-style cemetery keeper's lodge (1873), at the entrance on Llanbadarn Road. The graves are laid out in separate zones for Anglican and Dissenter Burials, and are further subdivided into first, second and third class burials within the two halves. These were differentiated by a fixed scale of charges for purchasing the exclusive right to bury. As a result the most elaborate memorials are in the main at the top of the slope near the end of the shady entrance avenue. Church burials face east, and Dissenters face south. This arrangement of the plots has been left undisturbed.

Source:- Management Plan, Greener Aberystwyth Group - Grwp Abersytwyth Gwyrddach, April 2010
NJR, RCAHMW, 07/10/2010

Digital Images

Archive Records