Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST PETER'S CHURCH, PENRHOSGARNEDD, BANGOR

Site Details



NPRN 411861

Map Reference SH57SE

Grid Reference SH5540170121

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Caernarfonshire

Community Bangor

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 20th Century

Site Description St Peter's church lies on the south-east side of Penrhos Road in a small rectangular churchyard. It was built in 1956 to designs of P.M.Padmore in a severe lancet style and displays the influences of Herbert North. The church is on a north-west by south-east alignment and has a pebble-dashed exterior, steep slated roof and copper fleche. It consists of nave and chancel with narrower sanctuary, and west porch under a flat pediment. Windows are arranged in ones and threes in projecting bays alternating with buttresses, but five in the west window and three in the east. The porch has arched windows and door. The interior is painted brick with big pointed brick arches springing from low down. Both chancel and sanctuary are one step up. Fittings include an octagonal pulpit, reading desk and a low sanctuary enclosure, all of brick, and a riddel-post altar under a painted celure. There is a double row of corbelled arcading each side of the east window.
Sources:
R.Haslam, J.Orbach & Adam Voelcker, Buildings of Wales: Gwynedd (2009), p.257.
Investigator's photography.

RCAHMW, 12 February 2016

Digital Images

Archive Records