Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

TREDEGAR RECREATION GROUND

Site Details



NPRN 412865

Map Reference SO10NW

Grid Reference SO1418708223

Unitary (Local) Authority Blaenau Gwent

Old County Monmouthshire

Community Tredegar

Type of Site DOG RACING TRACK, RACING CIRCUIT, RECREATION GROUND

Broad Class RECREATIONAL

Period Post Medieval, 20th Century, 19th Century

Site Description Opened in 1899, Tredegar Recreation Ground is one of the earliest industrial welfare grounds in Wales. The land was gifted by Lord Tredegar in the early part of the 1890s and was transformed into a recreation ground by the people of the town at a cost of £1,700. The pioneering use of a maintenance levy ensured the survival of the site until the late 1920s when newer, commercial forms of sustenance were created – notably a speedway and greyhound racetrack which opened in 1929. The opening ceremony was presided over by the newly elected MP, Aneurin Bevan. By the mid-1930s, however, the welfare scheme was reported as having folded and the ground transferred to the Tredegar Urban District Council.

Daryl Leeworthy, RCAHMW 1 February 2011.