Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST SILIN'S CHURCH, CRIBYN

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 412881

Map Reference SN55SW

Grid Reference SN5205451380

Unitary (Local) Authority Ceredigion

Old County Cardiganshire

Community Llanfihangel Ystrad

Type of Site MISSION CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description St Silin's Church is situated on the east side of the B4357 at cross-roads, within a triangular-shaped churchyard used as a cemetary. The church was built, as a mission church, in 1894 to designs of David Davies, at what was then the northern edge of the settlement. It is constructed of squared rock-faced rubble with yellow brick window dressings, and slate roofs. The church is aligned north-east by south-west and consists of nave and chancel under a single roof, with south-west lean-to porch, south-west bellcote and lean-to vestry on the east long wall. Windows are long and narrow with pointed arches, five to each side and three on the north-east gable wall.
The church is located within Llanfihangel Ystrad parish; prior to its construction parishioners attended St Michael's Church, Llanfihangel Ystrad.

Sources include:
Google Street View, August 2011.
T.Lloyd, J.Orbach & R.Scourfield, Buildings of Wales: Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion (2006), p.460.

D Leighton & N Vousden, RCAHMW, 9 July 2015

Digital Images

Archive Records